While most of you will be enjoying your summer vacations over yonder in the US of A, I will be here preparing for what will be a HUGE challenge in my life. Many of you are aware of the visa issues I have been facing, and the numerous prayers I have been asking for. I am announcing now that I have been accepted to study in order to acquire a student visa (YEAH!!!)
This means much change for me and A LOT of hard work! I will still be doing my mission work with the homeless and the Sudanese refugees, as well as taking classes, learning Arabic, and improving my Hebrew. Its all for the greater purpose!
As the title of this blog mentions, I have some light reading to put in this summer before my courses actually begin:
- Iran Between Two Revolutions, E. Abrahamian
- The Old Social Classes and the Revolutionary Movements of Iraq, H. Batatu
- G State and the Conflict in the Middle East, Ben-Dor
- King Hussein and the Challenge of Arab Radicalism: Jordan, U. Dann
- The Middle East: An Anthropological Approach, Dale Eickelman
- A Peace to End All Peace, David Fromkin
- The Interpretation of Cultures: Selected Essays, Clifford Geertz Thanks 2 Judy Allen!!!!
- Muslim Society, Ernest Gelner
- A Mediterranean Society. 5 vols, S.D. Goitein
- Arabic thought in the Liberal Age, Albert Hourani
- An Economic History of the Middle East and North Africa, Charles Issawi Thanks 2: The Betts Family!!!
- The Arab Cold War 1958-1970, Malcolm H. Kerr
- Syria and the French Mandate: The Politics of Arab Nationalism, 1920-1945, Philip S. Khoury
- The Emergence of Modern Turkey, B. Lewis
- Orientalism, Edward W. Said Thanks 2: @jcdulaney!!!!!
- The Modern History of Lebanon, K.S. Salibi
- The Struggle for Syria: A Study of Post-War Arab Politics, 1945-1958, Patrick Seale
- The History of Egypt: From Muhammad Ali to Sadat, P.J. Vatikiotis Thanks 2 Judy Allen!!!!
- The Making of the Modern Near East, 1792-1923. London, 1987. -The Near East Since the First World War London, 1991, M.E. Yapp Thx to a Used Book Store in TA!
- The Formation of Modern Lebanon, Meir Zamir
I’m sure that many of these titles are just sitting around on your bookshelves collecting dust, as they are best sellers throughout all the world.
But seriously, if any of you feel compelled to help me out: you can choose a title and find it used on Amazon.com or a used bookstore etc…you would be helping me out tremendously!!! I’m praying to get them all donated and sent over within this month so I can begin trudging forward. You’re not only helping me, you’re helping all those who I am helping (not to mention the huge blessing, as my support doesn’t exactly cover these types of things). And if someone actually has one of these titles, I would not only be impressed….I would have to send some sort of prize or something for owning such a jewel of a book!
Update: I have put the books on Amazon Wishlist, as to the request of a couple people. You can either click on the link in this blog, or the Amazon Wishlist icon on the right-bar. Thanks everyone!!!Shipping Address:
Maureen Milham Hamavdil 8 Apt. #39 Ramat Gan Israel 52562