I was skyping the other day with my childhood friend, Jodi, who just had her first baby… which led us to the topic of raising children… which led us to reminiscing about our childhood.
We both agree that we were soooo lucky to have been born when we were, still the “simpler” times, but leading into the “technology” era. Kids today have NOOOO idea what it was like without cell phones, email, SMS-ing, X-Box.. etc. And while all those things have made our lives a bit easier (and lazier) we couldn’t resist wishing that our children could experience childhood as we did:
- When EVERY kid either walked to school or rode a bus… no parents driving them to and from school.
- Running home after school to ride bikes with your friends around the neighborhood and play kickball in the yard, until you knew it was time to come home for dinner.
- Rollerskating in the garage, pretending to be at a roller rink, with music booming from a boombox the size of a tire.
- Spending your Friday night at the actual Roller Rink.
- Making tents in the backyard out of blankets draped over the clothesline.
- SPUD. (if you don’t know that game, you definitely didn’t grow up in my generation)
- Spending 2 hours of your night out, driving around looking for your friends, because there was no way to contact them once your left the house. (but having a blast while you did it!)
While I could go on and on with my memories, the point is that even though we are only one generation away, we are truly WORLDS away… and while technology is a great thing, and I LOVE it, I also long for the simpler days of the past as well… when we got all our exercise from just living and being kids!
Here I am feeding the ducks in the park with my dad (who will just LOVE that I posted this pic!), my grandma, and my aunt. (Or are we being attacked by them?!?)
Any special childhood memories of the simple times???
I miss you Kip!
Most people have dogs and cats for pets, but only in Africa can you have a baby zebra as one! I miss waking up and seeing his cute little face outside my door!
This year’s world cup has left me disappointed and dismayed, seeing Brasil leave so early. I was expecting them to win it all, but I guess they will just have to pull out all the stops for 2014, when its on home turf. In order for some cheering up, I’m pulling out Brasil memories of better times. This was down in Cascavel, southern Brasil, where we took a group to do an English Camp. One night we went to Churrascaria for dinner and they had this wierd bull out in the parking lot. I think I was dared to climb up on it (don’t know why else I would) so here are the pics:
I like fun, new categories to play around with so I’m gonna give it a try. Some foto’s will be recent flashbacks…. and some not so recent! Here’s one from my teaching days, back at ICS Rio. This was the night of our School Christmas Program, me with my 5th graders. (Who are now Juniors/Seniors!!!) Fun times 🙂