While I was home on furlough, my family experienced the loss of my grandma. I can honestly say this was the first time I’ve ever walked through the loss of a family member, and I’m still trying to deal with the emotions accompanying this loss.
While I was sitting at the funeral service with my family, certain things kept popping into my mind…
- how my grandma always called me “Mer-ee-nie” instead of Maureen. (I don’t think I ever heard her call me anything else)
- all the emails she would send me when I lived in Brasil and Africa…. besides my mom, I don’t think anyone wrote me more.
- the spiritual influence and encouragement she displayed.
- she ALWAYS encouraged me to write! She would tell me time and time again how proud of me she was and that one day she would be reading a book that I wrote.
- her unconditional love for her family!
I really wanted to go up and share all these things, but I knew I wouldn’t be able to get through them… so I sat and listened to what others had to say… and they said it all! My grandma’s legacy was built on the love and belief she had in Christ and everyone sitting in that room knew it!
My grandma was the spiritual leader of her family, intercessor beyond a doubt, and a faith warrior! She was an encourager, a stander-on the Word and a worshipper! She was a faithful wife, mother, grandmother, and most importantly of all, a servant of the Most High!
I love my grandma so much, and she is already greatly missed here on earth… but one thing is CERTAIN: Now she is singing and worshipping in heaven, and I’m pretty sure she’s finally walking along-side the most beautiful creatures in her eyes…. her beloved giraffes!